BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY:
The senior accountant will work within the finance and administration team with varied levels of responsibility. The position will understand and be able to explain complex accounting transactions, employ analytical and technical thinking, prepare monthly financial statements and be able to drive system and process improvements. The position is the immediate backup to the CFO and supervises the staff accountant.
PRIMARY DUTIES (essential functions):
In general, the Senior Accountant will support the activities of the CFO as well as the following:
- Supervisory responsibility over accounting and admin staff as assigned.
- Supports the accounting staff in the month-end and year-end closing process.
- Supports the annual audit process and development of the MVF Annual Report.
- Assembles the monthly reporting package for the CFO.
- Ensures the completion and compliance of various reconciliations: Bank Statements, Investments and Balance Sheet accounts.
- Provides ad hoc and monthly reporting support for the CFO.
- Periodically reviews and updates MVF Finance policies.
- Prepares, reviews and updates MVF accounting procedures as necessary.
- Reviews accounting records for compliance with internal control procedures.
- Provides P&L forecast reviews as necessary.
- Supports the MVF cost center and overall budget process.
- Maintains Fixed Asset subledger program ensuring records are in sync with accounting software.
- Supports the annual reserve study.
Additional responsibilities of the Senior Accountant include:
- Attends Executive committee and Audit committee meetings
- Attends at least 2 MVF Board meetings per year
- Prepares a quarterly financial article for the Village News
- Provides guidance and support on accounting matters to other departments
- Reviews monthly EVP report to the Board prior to publication
Performs duties of other accounting department staff in their absence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- B.S. Accounting/finance
- 5 to 7 years progressive accounting experience
- Good understanding of US GAAP principles and internal controls
- Strong analytic skills and general ledger/reconciliation knowledge
- Good interpersonal and communications skills, written and verbal
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet prescribed deadlines
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills
- Demonstrates ability to document transaction processes to implement process /organizational improvement initiatives.
- CPA or CPA candidate (preferred)
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.