BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY:
Directs the daily operation of the Lake Marion Community Center including programming, staffing and public relations. Implements community center private rental program. Coordinates seasonal swim lesson program and assists with operation of MVF pools.
- Plans and implements a comprehensive recreational program for all age groups including workshops, classes, camps and Village-wide special events.
- Coordinates swim lesson program. Conducts in-service training of swim instructors; assists with training of seasonal/part-time staff.
- Assists Facilities Manager and Aquatics Manager with seasonal operation of MVF Pools.
- Serves as the AED program coordinator for MVF Community Centers.
- Enforces Foundation policy, center rules and safety practices with staff and participants.
- Schedules the use and set up of the facility by MVF, HOA boards and committees, organizations working with team members to maximum the use of the Lake Marion Facility.
- Coordinates community center private rental program.
- Interviews temporary staff and instructors and recommends for hire. Plans and conducts ongoing training of staff. Evaluates staff and makes recommendations on merit increases, promotions or terminations. Approves time sheets.
- Coordinates training of staff in First Aid and CPR. Schedules classes and instructs courses. Coordinates record keeping with Red Cross.
- Plans and oversees Summer Programs at Lake Marion with assistance from Recreation Specialist I. Assists with development of staff training manual and in-service training for summer staff and implementation of the Counselor-in-Training Program.
- Plans and supervises seasonal special events such as: Daddy Daughter Dance, Halloween Hoopla, Holiday Craft Bazaar, School Break Camps, Indoor Flea Market and Independence Day 5K Race. As well as assists with planning and implementation of other special events as requested.
- Plans and coordinates instructional classes, trains staff, orders supplies and inspects equipment. Coordinates maintenance of equipment. Coordinates scheduling of Futsal League with Recreation Specialist I.
- Maintains all facility equipment and supplies ensuring that they are kept in a clean and organized manner. Inventories and orders approved supplies and equipment within budget guidelines.
- Reports maintenance problems with the facility or grounds to the Facilities Manager in a timely manner.
- Develops public relations materials including press releases, flyers, posters and website information to promote programs. Distributes materials as needed. Researches and prepares information for quarterly recreation inserts.
- Changes or supervises the changing of the Lake Marion sign to ensure that information is up to date.
- Completes monthly reports, program plans, evaluations and other administrative duties as assigned.
- Assists with the preparation of Department budget, tracks program income and expenses and prepares seasonal reports. Collects program fees and turns in for accounting.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Good knowledge of the principles and practices of recreation programming and administration.
- Good knowledge of safety practices.
- Ability to evaluate programs and procedures; to build upon strengths and make adjustments to reduce weaknesses.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong program leadership skills.
- Thorough knowledge and experience in swim lesson instruction.
- Skills in a wide range of recreational activities including sports and fitness, games, the arts, self directed activities and special events.
- Ability to establish good working relationships with staff, organizational partners, Village residents and the public.
- Management skills sufficient to supervise staff of part time workers and instructors.
- Thorough knowledge at the instructor level of CPR and First Aid.
- Basic knowledge of budgetary process.
- Graduation from college with a Bachelor's Degree in Recreation or a related field. Two years progressively responsible experience in recreation programming and supervision of staff; or any combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Strong computer skills.
- CPR and First Aid Instructor Certification, Lifeguard Training Instructor Certification. Or the ability to obtain them within 6 months.
- Montgomery County Pool Operators License or the ability to get one in 6 months
- Additional supervisory or recreation programming experience.
- Prior experience in a similar work setting.
- Water Safety Instructor Certification.