BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY:
The Director of Architectural Standards performs complex professional and administrative work in managing the Architectural Standards Department, which administers residential and commercial architectural review functions and enforcement procedures. The position requires a forward thinking individual who will set a vision for the department and lead a team to maintain policies and procedures that protect the architectural integrity of the community, as specified in the governing documents. The director serves as staff liaison to the Architectural Review Board and the Commercial Architectural Review Committee. This position participates as a member of the senior management team and, as such, assists the EVP in strategic planning for the organization and attends monthly MVF Board of Directors meetings.
- Directs the work of staff administering the architectural review process. Ensures timely processing of Property Improvement Requests and updates of individual homeowner files in the MVF electronic data management system (Treeno).
- Directs the work of staff administering the architectural enforcement process. Ensures that reports of violations are investigated in a timely manner and that procedures for enforcement are correctly implemented and properly documented in SmartWebs and the MVF database.
- Directs the work of staff inspecting properties for preparation of a resale disclosure certificate. Ensures that the resale disclosure certificate is processed and forwarded to the Director of Community Management in a timely manner.
- Administers the commercial architectural review process. Maintains a current address/phone database of commercial property owners, managers and tenants in Montgomery Village. Oversees compliance with MVF approved additions and changes, as well as property maintenance issues on the commercial/non-residential properties.
- Serves as staff liaison to both the Architectural Review Board and the Commercial Architectural Review Committee. Prepares committee agendas with associated packets of information and conveys committee recommendations to the MVF Board of Directors for consideration.
- Recruits, interviews, selects and trains departmental staff. Directs the work of staff and evaluates performance; approves personnel actions.
- Ensures that both print and electronic versions of all documents, guidelines and criteria pertaining to the architectural standards of each Village community, as well as individual home profiles, are current. Ensures that the Commercial Design Manual is updated and available for public distribution, as needed.
- Develops and maintains a comprehensive listing of replacement products to assist Village homeowners in maintaining the exterior of their homes to the required standard. Maintains samples of commonly used replacement products and approved community colors for the convenience of homeowners.
- Reviews criteria regularly to ensure that trends in architectural design and color, new building products and safety equipment, as well as changes in community values over time, are properly reflected in the architectural standards. Confers with the MVF Design Consultant and the ARB on design and related architectural matters. Recommends policy changes.
- Develops and administers annual education efforts for homeowners, realtors and the business community on the architectural standards, review and enforcement process. Writes articles on architectural and design matters for the Village News.
- Provides professional advice on architectural matters to Montgomery Village HOA and condominium boards, as well as Village commercial and non-residential property owners and managers.
- Represents MVF in homeowner appeals of ARB decisions or citations issued for unapproved modifications to the MVF Executive Committee, as needed.
- Monitors changes to County laws, zoning ordinance and policies that affect architectural matters. Notifies Montgomery County Dept. of Permitting Services about sign violations.
- Coordinates with MVF Legal Counsel on filing of court cases and Montgomery County Commission on Common Ownership Communities (CCOC) appeals regarding architectural violations.
- Develops and administers annual departmental operating budget, spending and income plans.
- Develops and administers departmental operating procedures ensuring that the department functions within established MVF Board policies.
- Establishes department training objectives.
- Monitors staff to ensure that reasonable safety precautions are taken.
- Meets with residents and attends Board meetings as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Customer-service orientation, with a proven track record of effectively managing processes, schedules and personnel.
- Thorough knowledge of construction and architectural terms, as well as a general knowledge of design and color elements.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities.
- Thorough knowledge of and the ability to effectively communicate MVF policies and positions.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Thorough knowledge of Montgomery Village governing documents and architectural criteria.
- Thorough knowledge of finance, budgetary and personnel procedures.
- Ability to perform walking inspections of Village homes and businesses in varied weather conditions.
- Computer skills; significant experience using Microsoft Office applications. Ability to learn new systems pertaining to architectural review and compliance, specifically Jenark and SmartWebs.
- Ability to attend evening meetings.
- Graduation from college with a BA or BS degree in business, management or a related field. Seven years of progressively responsible experience; or any combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must possess valid driver's license valid in the state of Maryland and own transportation.
- Previous experience with architectural covenants and their enforcement.
- Experience with architectural design and community planning.
- Background in community/property management.
- Experience with managing a volunteer committee